PLDN-Solid Kick-Off – April 9th 2019
Date: April 9th, 2019
Time: 13:00-17:00 hours
Location: SURF, Utrecht
Solid is a global initiative, involving persons like Tim Berners-Lee, Ruben Verborgh, Mitzi László and others. This initiative defines the standards and tooling required for Social Linked Data (Solid), but it is more than that. It is a movement, a global community and an ecosystem.
The intention of Solid is to create a new improved version of the internet, where end users have control over their own personal data. To achieve this, personal data is stored in Personal Operational Data Stores (PODS). And depending on how you organize this, you can have one or more PODS for your personal data that you can share with others after you have given them permission to use your data.
If you would like to get more hands-on with Solid, then this an event you would like to participate in. We have invited Ruben Verborgh of UGent/imec and Mitzi László of Solid-Inrupt, to participate in this session. The program for this session is:
Program & Presentations
|12:30||Walk in, registration, badges & coffee|
|13:00||Welcome to the PLDN-Solid Kick-Off – Pieter van Everdingen (PLDN) (slides)|
|13:05||The Solid ecosystem – Mitzi László (Solid-Inrupt)|
|13:30|| How to (part 1) – Ruben Verborgh (UGent–imec) (all slides)|
- Create your own data pod & interact with others (see also: data browser user guide)
|15:00|| How to (part 2) – Ruben Verborgh (UGent–imec)|
- Developing a Solid app (see also: make a Solid app on your lunch break with code examples using jQuery or code examples using React)
|16:00|| What can we do next – Pieter van Everdingen (PLDN) and Mitzi László (Solid-Inrupt) (slides)|
- What topics and cases can we work on
- How can we organize activities and help each other
- Follow-up actions
|17:00||Drinks & networking|
And for the future Solid activities that will be organized by PLDN, we would like you to think about how you would like to participate in these activities via the following questions:
- Which role do you want in these activities? (lead/participant)
- What questions do you want to get answered?
- What do you want to experiment with?
- What do you see as possible results of these activities?
In terms of ambitions, we are thinking of what we would like to achieve the coming half year given the Solid requirements in our PLDN-community and how we can contribute to the global Solid movement, community and ecosystem. We would like to show some first deliverables during a PLDN-event in November. And in November we can decide about the next half year (or whatever timeframe is convenient). We already got some very useful input on the questions above and if you would like to give more input and/or give your answers to the above questions, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to find out more about Solid, please view the following Solid presentation:
You can also check the following official Solid-Inrupt resources for more information:
We also recommend reading the following blogs:
- Shaping Linked Data apps, Decentralized apps will need a lot of flexibility, which they will gain through data shapes
- Designing a Linked Data developer experience, making decentralized web app development fun
And you can also become involved in the W3C Solid Community Group to make your contributions to Solid: